Design Versioning - Version control for designers
Keep your Designs Under Control
The new Workflow for Designers
My name is Adria Jimenez and I'm an engineer and designer passionated for technology, design and great products with years of experience working in big and small projects.
During last year I’ve tried different approaches to keep my designs (Sketch, Photoshop and images) under control and backed up.
First of all, I had several requirements:
- Keep design versions enabling me to go back in time like I do in Mac Time Machine
- Ability to completely change any design at any time without loosing my previous progress
- Have backup of my designs
- Make my designs shareable with my colleagues so they could collaborate with my ideas
- Cheap or ideally free to use
- Simple folder structure
- Easy to use
- Future proof
As you can see it’s something basic if you are a freelancer or you work with a small team of people. I tried several online services like Dropbox and some other offline inventions like having my complex set of folders, or multiple copies of files but at the end nothing worked like I wanted or it created a lot of overhead.
Finally I found a solution and it worked so great that I decided to teach other designers like you how to replicate and benefit from my workflow.
What are you getting with the course?
- Proven working workflow
- Lifetime access
- HD video lessons
- Step by step guides
- Knowledge quizzes
- Welcome and introduction to the course
- Welcome and how to get the most of this course
- Course introduction. Is this course for me? How is the course structured?
- Understanding Design Versioning
- Computer setup and learning the software
- Which tool are we going to use and why
- Downloading and installing the required software - Mac
- Downloading and installing the required software - Windows
- Get to know the interface
- Managing your project - Basic workflow
- How to structure your files and folders. My recommendation
- Initializing your project
- Adding new files to your project versioning
- Saving your work changes
- Time traveling with your files, from present to past
- Practice time, setup a new versioned project
- Online backup, storing your files online
- Setting up the online storage
- Adding your local changes to your online backup
- Save and backup in just one step
- Recovering your versioned files
- Practice time, store your versioned designs online
- Project Collaboration
- What you need to do first
- Adding permission to our colleagues or team members
- Time for our team members to work
- Apply collaborators work to the versioning
- Getting your team members work and reviewing it
- Dealing with conflicts and problems with your designs
- Saving your designs aside for later processing
- Identify a conflict with your file versions and why does it happen
- Reproducing a conflict and how to solve them file wise
- How to not loose your work when problems happen
- Advanced knowledge and practice
- Daily vs Feature Workflow Demo
- Thank you Questions and Actions
What you'll be able to do at the end?
By the end of the course you'll be able to use my refined workflow to keep your designs organized and versioned.
You’ll benefit of the ability to know at each point of time what did you do and why did you do it, and not only that, you’ll be able to go back in time to recover a specific design in a specific point in time, all of that while having just 1 design file instead of multiple copies of it.
As soon as you get used to this workflow you wont believe how have you been so long without doing your daily work like this.
Who is the ideal student?
The ideal student for this course is someone who works with design files, either Photoshop, Sketch or any other tool. There is no limitation in the tool to use.
It can be either working in big projects with a lot of other people or something small, personal projects or a freelancer.
See you inside the course, learn the new workflow and change the way you work forever.
Meet your instructor
I love creating and designing apps, webs and teaching how to be more successful with that.
I've work at Xing, Softonic, Honda, Fnac and several other companies creating software for millions of users.
I really enjoy learning and teaching new skills to improve others lives.
All my life I've been surrounded by computers. As a child, my father - who was a programmer back then - introduced me to the world of computing, that marked me forever. Years later, after hours and hours in front of computers, I am dedicated to my passion: code and design.
Every day, I try to do my best to achieve the best result.
I created Skills Airport to share my knowledge with people like you.